Mixing the nebuliser medication
You can mix your nebuliser medication by following the instructions below:
- Unscrew the top of the nebuliser chamber
- Open the vial drug solution by twisting off the top. Ensure the baffle is in place
- Put the prescribed amount of medicine into the nebuliser chamber
- Measure out the correct volume of drug solution and pour into the nebuliser chamber. The medicine normally comes in individual doses
- Screw on the top of the nebuliser chamber and attach the mouthpiece or face mask to the top of the chamber
You may be advised to increase the volume of your drug solution by diluting it, in which case you should only use the solution prescribed for dilution (usually normal saline). Tap or distilled water should NEVER be used to mix the nebuliser medication.
If two different types of relievers are being used, then these can add together in the same chamber, but not all medicines can be mixed. Please seek advice from your clinician.