Mixing the nebuliser medication
To mix the nebuliser medication:
- Unscrew the top of the nebuliser chamber
- Open the vial drug solution by twisting off the top. Ensure the baffle is in place
- Put the prescribed amount of medicine into the nebuliser chamber
- Measure out the correct volume of drug solution and pour into the nebuliser chamber. The medicine normally comes in individual doses
- Screw on the top of the nebuliser chamber and attach the mouthpiece or face mask to the top of the chamber
You may advise the patient to increase the volume of their drug solution by diluting it, in which case the patient should only use the solution prescribed for dilution (usually normal saline). Tap or distilled water should NEVER be used to mix the medication.
If two different types of relievers are being used, then these can add together in the same chamber, but not all medicines can be mixed. Please advise the patient if this is possible bearing in mind their individual circumstances.